My Favourite Filofax So Far

Okay, so I only have 3 and may not be the best person to um, make a comparison. And they are all made with PU (not real leather) material. There were not that many real leather Filofaxes available the last I checked Kinokuniya (Malaysia) and the ones that are being sold are really, really expensive.

filofax saffiano personal

Anyway, I have been rotating the 3 precious Filofaxes in my possession and have come to a conclusion that my favourite is the Raspberry Saffiano (in personal size).

I like that there are not too many card slots on the front flap and that I can slip another fat pen on the back flap. I don’t use the slots much because I don’t like inserting anything too bulky that it creates a bumpy surface in the background when I write.

filofax saffiano personal

The elastic pen loop has been widened enough to take a Uni Style Fit multi-3 pen. It still won’t fit most pens with a rubberised grip at the bottom although the pens are slimmer. That loop creates too much resistance against rubber or silicon material for some reason.

filofax saffiano personal

Saffiano actually refers to the cross-hatch finish in the stamping method on leather or non-leather products. It usually goes through a wax treatment making the leather product more durable and scratch resistant. I’m not sure of the Filofax Saffiano (being PU material) actually undergoing any such treatment but I do like the cross-hatch design and I think it is pretty hardy. I’ve gotten a few ink stains on it before and it wiped off without issues. Unlike the stains on my Patent Compact, which won’t come off.

filofax saffiano personal

The Raspberry shade is also very nice. It’s not too bright and not too dull. I won’t say it is a true raspberry though, it’s more a plummy-purple to me. And I like that bright fuchsia polyester lining, which I think compliments the main colour very well.

filofax saffiano personal

The material has a certain squishiness about it and I can now understand why so many folks out there place importance on planner squishability. It’s just so much more comfortable to hold something soft against you. Not that I go around hugging my planners all day.

I hope you found this mini review of my favourite Filofax useful. It comes in 4 different sizes; A5, Personal, Compact and Pocket, and I think 4 different colours but the Filofax UK website only shows 3. The one missing is in Aqua and oh, I hope they didn’t discontinue it because I want that colour in A5 so bad.

So, do you use a Saffiano and in which size and colour? If you have one, how do you like it? If you don’t have one, will you consider getting it? Do pop in a share your thoughts.

18 comments

1. Joannywhite says:

Ooh I love my aqua Saffiano. Tbh i was a bit disappointed with the colour as it looks more green than blue and I still dont know why it is called “Aqua”. This raspberry colour is beautiful though. I love how soft the material feels. I actually like the fact that it’s not real leather and I agree with all the points you’ve made above 😀

Joanny 🙂
    Joannywhite recently posted…Mini Metropol Set Up As A Wallet/PurseMy Profile

• lyn says:

Thanks, Joanny! I’ve seen the Aqua in person and agree it’s more green or teal but still a lovely shade. It was the last one available at that time but had the 2014 inserts so I decided not to get it. Oh, I’ll definitely do a set up post someday. I don’t have a lot of sections though but it’s slowly filling up 🙂

2. plue says:

mmm, saffiano! i love it on my leather bags 😛

i don’t have a Filofax as I prefer buying those “booklet” types, I really like pretty inserts/ pages but I am just no good in creating my own LOL, so those ready made booklets is good enough for me. Also, I love changing planners each time I finish one! Hahahah.

I used to have something similar to the Filofax for work, I just sorta stop using it and change to those booklets ahahaha. Maybe I should start using them once again next year.
    plue recently posted…Happy Chinese New Year & Huat Ahhhh!My Profile

• lyn says:

Hi Plue! I don’t really create my own inserts but I do like the flexibility of interchanging and moving them around. And the beauty with a flexible system is that you can swap the covers just like swapping bags 🙂 Kekeke…

3. Jo says:

There’s so many different Filofax models that there’s definitely something to suit everyone. I think the raspberry shade is lovely, but I’m not so keen on the inside cover of the Saffiano, not enough pockets for me.
    Jo recently posted…Learning To SewMy Profile

4. Carla Przyk says:

I’m downsizing from a Franklin Cover Compact and think the Filofax Compact might be a little too slim. I like my 1″ rings, so the Personal size might be just right. Just placed my order through Amazon and can’t wait till it gets here. Got the Raspberry. Love that color.

• lyn says:

Hi Carla, The compact does have some merits, it is lighter and slimmer. But I still prefer personal size because I can stuff a bit more in 🙂 I hope you enjoy your new Filofax! It’s always exciting to get a new planner.

5. Phoebe says:

I knew Filofax from IG & Flickr in 2013, when in Filofax UK has the year end sale then I finally decided to grab one as I found out after add in shipping fee still cheaper that get from Kinokuniya malaysia (may be inclusive the expensive tax).
    I love my Aqua Saffiano in compact size, because I did use the Starbucks ring binder but I hate the big ring when I write on left page but the compact ring size really feel much comfortable to write on left Page and control the weight, avoid not so bulky whereby im commuter user. Overall I still.love it since I start using from nov 2013 till nw feb 2015

• lyn says:

I’m glad you love the Saffiano! It is still one of my favourite Filofax and I think it is a really good planner. The Starbucks binder is just too bulky to carry around on a daily basis so I’ve settled to using it as a recipe binder to be kept at home 🙂